Wednesday, 28 September 2011
On Monday I spent a few hours with my SU mummy Julie playing with fabric and making some projects for her all-day training event in a couple of weeks.
I'll hold off showing you most of the things I made so as not to spoil the suprise for my fellow demos attending, but here are two mini cushions I rustled up.
This is SU faric but unfortunately not a pattern available over here (its good to have friends overseas!).
The hexagon flowers are so pretty and easy to make. I used a technique called English paper piecing. Basically, you cut out small hexagons of paper (takeaway menus are the ideal weight!) and then tack a slightly larger hexagon fabric over them. Then stitch all the hexagons together into a flower (or any shape you want) and remove the tacking stitches and take the paper out. Not as fiddly as it sounds, but it's hard to describe!
I machine stitched them on to the plain fabric I had (don't ask me what it is or where it came from!) then made that into the front of the cushion covers, with an envelope-style back.
And here they are in situ on my blanket box. I even made proper tiny cushion fillers by chopping up a big cushion pad.
On to the next project ...