A new stitching style - Jacobean embroidery

Wednesday 29 June 2011

A couple of weeks ago I attended the Jaboean embroidery workshop run by the West Yorkshire Federation of Women's Institutes at their office in Rodley.

I love these day classes - you get to learn new things alongside fellow crafters and we have lots of fun too.

Well, with all the chatting and faffing about with the wool (I didn't really like working with it!) I didn't get much done, but I finished my piece off over the weekend.



Most of the stitches I had done before, but I learnt some new ones called coral stitch, spiderwebs and pinwheels, which are fab, and practiced my blanket stitch, which I've never been very good at.



The coral stitch is the ling thin stems. It's kind of knotted over itself every cm or so. The little blue flowers are the web and wheel stitches. Very impressed with these two so must remember to use them again in future.



I think the laid trellis work is a lovely effect too, although I did get a bit muddle with the couching down so the pattern went a bit wrong in places!

Lots of French knots for the middle of the flower and the yellow things at the outside that look like caterpillars are called bullion knots.

Don't think I'll be working in wool again anytime soon, but I'm very pleased with the finished piece.

2 comments:

Julie Wednesday, 29 June, 2011  

Your creations amaze me, my sewing is limited to buttons and then only if I must lol !
Julie x

Vicky Hayes Wednesday, 29 June, 2011  

This is just the kind of thing that I love! Once I found a cushion in an antique shop embroidered like this. It's sort of disintegrating but I love it. Vx

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP