Denman College - Day 1

Monday 4 April 2011

Wow, Denman College is absolutely amazing!

I have already made some lovely new friends and had lots of fun!

Arrived here around 4pm and checked in. Each room is decorated by one of the WI federations and are named after their county. I am in Westmorland (Cumbria) so there are some sheep ornaments in my room, pretty pictures, a map of the area and an awesome handmade sewing thing!



The first entry in the guest book for my room is from April 1970!

We had tea and cake (obviously) and I chatted with some more new people then took a little walk around. The grounds are so beautiful. It is incredibly relaxing.



The house (from the back).







The herb garden.





This is the classroom we are working in.



The lake!



Christmas Cottage.

Jane, the head of the college, welcomed us and told us in no uncertain terms that we were to support the college by drinking as much as we could in the bar! Fair enough!

After that we had dinner (food was amazing) and talked some more! I met a lovely group of women who have been here more than 40 times EACH! I certainly hope this will be my first of many visits.

We then had our first class. There are 12 in my group and everyone apart from me has studied goldwork before! Eeek! But I soon got into the swing of it and chose my design. I drew it on to a lovely natural silk and got it in the frame ready to start tomorrow. I can't wait to pick out lots of colours and sparkly threads!





Oh, and a photographer from the WI member magazine WI Life is coming down to see me (and my work) for a future article. Let's hope I'm good at it!

Sorry this is all a bit disjointed but I just wanted to do a running blog as I go. I'm tweeting along the way as well - search my name or #DenmanCollege. When I get back I will be writing up a proper article.

Now I have to sleep and dream about embroidery and a cooked breakfast!

3 comments:

Rachel Monday, 04 April, 2011  

would love to go and do something there - torouble would be picking something - can I go for a whole month and just do everything - ROFL

Bump to Baby: A Diary & corsets, crafts and cupcakes Monday, 04 April, 2011  

looks and sounds amazing gem - im so jealous :)
cant wait to see it finished

Anonymous,  Monday, 04 April, 2011  

Sounds like you're having a great time already, it's really interesting reading your posts and tweets, to understand what actually happens there.

Good job you're from Buns & Roses, plenty of practice at the bar!! Do you know of any other WI's that have a bar?

Enjoy the rest of your week

Alex

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Brownium by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP